Motoman Robot Handling, Loading, and Packing
Automotive Wheel Covers
Robot system meets or exceeds all system goals and objectives. Provides flexible system that places individual wheel covers on their edges into slots inside partitioned totes and discards runners into a reject chute. Robot cycle time of 15 seconds is well within IMM cycle time. System improves productivity and provides reliable operation.
- Provide robotic system to accurately unload three part models of plastic wheel covers ranging from 482.6-533.4 mm (19.0"-21.0") dia. and 55.9-58.4 mm (2.2-2.3") H that weigh up to 0.76 kg (1.68 lbs) each from an IM machine, along with one-piece detached scrap runners that can be gripped by the sprue.
- Drop runners into a reject chute, and place individual wheel covers on their edges into 533.4 mm x 57.2 mm (21" x 2.25") slots inside partitioned totes in a 16 x 2 pattern. Part totes are 1,219.2 mm L x 1,143 mm W x 736.6 mm H (48" L x 45" W x 29" H) within ±3.175 mm (0.125") and empty tote weight is 45.35 kg (100 lbs).
- System must be capable of placing wheel covers into totes within the IM machine’s cycle time.
- Improve productivity and provide reliable operation.
Motoman Robotics Solution
Motoman Robotics provided an HP50 handling system, including:
- Motoman HP50 robot with NX100 controller.
- Additional XOI01 Discrete I/O Module.
- S-axis hard stops.
- Robot base riser.
- Custom end of arm tool – mechanical gripper to handle one wheel cover and one runner at a time.
- Tool changer, including tool plate, master plate and adapter.
- Tote over/under conveyor – Chain-driven live-roller (CDLR) type including 3.66-m (12') L, 1193.8 mm (47") W with speed of 18.3 m (60') per minute. Includes tote load zone; tote fill zone; tote unload zone; hydraulic scissor lift, located in robot load zone to transfer totes from top to bottom conveyor; and crowder on the lift to locate totes for robotic loading.
- Spanner package connecting robot riser to over/under conveyor.
- Three-color status beacon.
- Cell guarding package that meets ANSI/RIA R15.06-1999 standard, including 2.44 m (8') H woven-wire perimeter safety fence, one access gate with positive-break safety switch, and dual-channel safety hardware for access gate.
Motoman Robotics provided custom end-of-arm tooling, consisting of a mechanical gripper designed to handle individual sets of wheel covers and detached runners. Gripper handles individual wheel covers using the outside diameter (O.D.) and grasps runners by the sprue. Gripper includes part-present, gripper fully open and gripper fully closed sensors.