Motoman Robots Handling and Press Tending
Flexible robotic press tending system meets all project challenges and meets or exceeds project goals. System easily achieves cycle time rate of 575 parts per hour (8% faster than goal of 533). Customer purchased additional robotic press tending lines.
- Load/unload 0.036" gage sheet metal blanks with maximum size of 762 mm x 889 mm (30" x 35") and maximum weight of 5 kg (11 lbs) in an eight press tandem line at a pass line height of 1,066.8 mm (42") ±12.7 mm (0.5") from the floor.
- Achieve cycle time of 533 parts per hour at 100% efficiency, assuming presses operate at 20 SPM, and robots can enter presses at TDC point (fully opened).
- Parts are relatively parallel to the floor, requiring no side-to-side or front-to-back tilting. Dies have locating features that establish accurate part location. Parts will be rotated 180 degrees when passed between presses, but can be loaded with a straight vertical motion without sticking or binding.
- Maximize system throughput by eliminating downtime, and reduce costs by improving productivity and flexibility.
- Reduce the need for manual labor and improve operator safety.
- Mount robots from existing I-beam structure over press pit, and controllers in mezzanine.
- Provide flexible end-of-arm tooling capable of handling multiple part styles, with manual changeover in 10 minutes or less.
Motoman Robotics Solution
Motoman Robotics provided a custom SP80X press handling solution, including:
- (8) Motoman five-axis SP80X robots with XRC 2001 controllers (mounted on mezzanine).
- (8) Robot base risers.
- (8) Motoman Allen-Bradley Remote I/O (MARIO) Cards, I/O expansion racks, and PC card modules.
- (8) Custom end-of-arm tools – vacuum grippers.
- (8) Local operator panels – Allen-Bradley PanelView® Plus 1000 Human-Machine Interfaces (HMIs).
- Allen-Bradley ControlLogix® 5555 PLC for line control.
- (8) Three-color status beacons with audible alarms.
- Allen-Bradley Guard PLC 2000 Safety PLC.
- Cell guarding package with 2.44-m (8') H woven wire perimeter safety fence, double-hinged doors, and 16 operator access gates with positive break safety switches.
- Cable package including all interface cabling between line controller and robots, presses and local operator panels.
Motoman Robotics provided eight sets of identical custom end-of-arm tooling (one per robot), consisting of vacuum gripper assemblies with four vacuum cups per tool, capable of handling one part at a time. Each gripper has two part-present sensors. Same gripper design handles multiple part models. Quick-change coupling, including disconnects with five-pin connectors, allows manual changeover in less than 10 minutes. Right angle mounting brackets, and electrical and pneumatics packages are included.
Schedule a Consultation
See if robotics is a good fit for your business. Click below to contact an automation specialist with experience in your industry.