Motoman RobotWorld Handling
Automotive Engine Valves
Solution achieves packaging rate of more than 124 parts per minute and handles wide variety of product types and custom trays. Changeover is automatic. Accuracy of solution improves productivity and reduces part placement errors. Flexible design allows for future integration of an automated tray handling robotic palletizing system.
- Achieve packaging rate of 120 parts per minute.
- Part placement accuracy – placing stems in tray holes with clearance of approx. ±0.279 mm (0.011”).
- Wide variety of product types. Valve stems are approximately 93.4-134.2 mm (3.7”-5.3”) long. Parts weigh approx. ≤ .073 kg (0.16 lb.) each.
- Wide variety of custom, molded plastic trays.
- High flexibility required. Parts are batch run. Changeover between part and tray types must be automatic.
- System must be capable of running production in half of the cell if the other side is down.
- System design must be flexible to allow for future integration of an automated tray handling robotic palletizing system.
Motoman Robotics Solution
Motoman Robotics provided a highly flexible material handling solution, including:
- Motoman RobotWorld 161 solution with four robot heads, each equipped with a Customer supplied mechanical, angular gripper.
- Two ORC controllers for RobotWorld.
- Customer supplied under/over conveyor for empty/full tray infeed/outfeed.
- Four customer-provided infeed singulation stations.
- Customized frame to accommodate Customer supplied equipment.
- PC Controller used as man-machine interface.
- Two operator stations (one for left side, one for right).
- Safety-interlocked clear polycarbonate sliding doors.
For this cell, mechanical angular grippers grasp the valves by the valve stems. A sensor on each gripper ensures that valves are inserted and seated properly.