Motoman Robots Handling Fabricated Metal Part Frames
Achieved cycle time of 12.2 seconds per small part, and 14.1 seconds on larger part assembly. Cycle achieved is 6-18.5% faster than required 15-second cycle time goal.
- Automate product production. This cell is the first of four similar robotic systems that process parts; part frames and ends; bottoms; and side and top respectively.
- Batch process 19 different part numbers. Small parts are made of 9-gage steel wire; larger parts are made of 7-gage steel wire or a combination of 7- and 9-gage wire.
- Smallest part is 40.64 cm x 40.64 cm (16"W x 16"H). Largest part is 73.66 cm x 101.6 cm (29" W x 40"H). Parts weigh from .61- 4.08 kg (1.34-9 lbs).
- Achieve cycle time of 14-16 seconds.
- Need to lower cost to compete internationally.
- Need reliable solution for three-shift operation.
Motoman Robotics Solution
Motoman Robotics provided a flexible automation solution, including:
- Two Motoman UP130 robots with XRC controllers
- Motoman UP6 robot with XRC controller
- Two sets of identical custom end-of-arm tooling for UP130 robots
- Custom parallel gripper for UP6 robot
- Common steel platform for XRCs and PLC
- Three base plates for robots
- Software cube zone protection
- Custom wall-mounted cable tray
- Allen-Bradley SLC 5/04 PLC with Data Highway Plus interface
- Allen-Bradley PanelView™ 1000 operator interface.
- 2.3-m (7.5-ft) powered belt infeed conveyor with manually adjustable guide rails
- Workcell protection package, including wire guarding with two safety-interlocked gates
- Customer supplied equipment: - Trimmer (press) - Bender (press) - Spot welder - Bowl feeder - 3.05-m (10-ft) Outfeed conveyor Motoman was responsible for integrating all of the Customer supplied equipment, including the trimmer, bender, spot welder, bowl feeder and outfeed conveyor.